Distributed to Competitors March 10
The topic of the novel coronavirus has dominated the news cycles in recent days and has occupied a significant amount of our attention. We have opted to postpone the March 15 prep seminar and are keeping a wary eye on the progress of the pandemic.
Several participants have asked about the status of the race as a whole. Our answer is that the race is on!
Now, that is subject to a few caveats. We are paying close attention to the advice and instructions of competent public health professionals. While we cannot predict the future, we are hoping that this will have abated by the summer.
It may be the case, however, that we find it necessary to cut back on group events, from preparation seminars to parties. To the extent we must adapt our race requirements to deal with that, we will.
We believe the next month or so will be very instructive on the progress of the disease and whether it will necessarily affect the race and its surrounding activities. We will keep you posted on our view of things and any change in plans, but for now, we are looking forward to a cold maitai on a hot island after a great downwind run.
If you have thoughts or concerns, please feel free to contact me at Commodore@PacificCup.org